Fife House Foundation is looking for dedicated volunteers to join our Board of Directors, effective September 2022.
Fife House is an innovative, client-focused provider of secure and supportive affordable housing and services to people living with HIV/AIDS in the Greater Toronto Area. With approximately 110 staff working across 6 locations, in 2020-2021 Fife House served more than 700 residents and clients by providing supportive and transitional housing programs as well outreach programs to homeless clients and their families.
The Board of Directors is responsible for direction and oversight of Fife House programs and services. Board responsibilities include long-range and short-term planning, development of Fife House positions, and review of Fife House’s annual budget and other fiscal reports.
We are looking for individuals who:
- Are able to bring diverse and varied perspectives to the Board table and who are representative of the diverse populations of the City of Toronto and the Greater Toronto Area;
- Are committed to attending and actively participating in Board meetings and Committee discussions;
- Have the ability to work with their fellow Board members in a collegial manner;
- Possess independent judgement and have the candour and willingness to discuss challenging issues;
- Are prepared to leverage their personal and professional connections to further the interests of Fife House.
- Board members are expected to attend up to 10 meetings per year, in person or by video conferencing, review materials in advance of Board meetings, and come prepared to ask questions and participate in discussions;
- Board members may be asked to attend additional Board meetings, for example, when specific topics require in-depth discussion, or for training and development opportunities;
- Board members are expected to serve on one or more Committees of the Board and to actively participate in Committee work;
- Board members serve a two (2)-year term with a maximum of three consecutive terms;
- To help ensure that the Board never loses sight of the realities of living with HIV/AIDS, membership must include a minimum of two (2) individuals with lived experience.
Desired Attributes, Skills and Expertise
We will give preference to those with expertise in one or more of the following areas:
- Industry knowledge and experience (including volunteer) working in or with non-profit organizations that serve underserved and vulnerable adults from diverse communities
- Public relations and communications
- Strategic planning and performance management
- Fundraising and development
- Stakeholder engagement, in particular provincial government relations
- Experience with multi-funded agencies and the intersectionality of supportive housing, HIV/AIDS, mental health and addictions
- Directors must be at least 18 years old and must live or work in the City of Toronto;
- Undischarged bankrupts are not eligible to serve as Directors; and
- Directors must submit a Canadian Police Information Clearance and Vulnerable Sector Check.
If you have the time, enthusiasm, and expertise that may benefit Fife House, please forward your expression of interest, including a brief resumé by email using the subject line “Volunteer Board Member” to: HumanResources@fifehouse.org
- We would like to hear from you by June 25, 2022.
See attached or visit Careers for more details.